Gunmen stormed Ouagadougou's Splendid Hotel and a nearby cafe in an attack apparently involving car bombs.
There is a curfew in place throughout Ouagadougou until at least 6am local time on 16 January 2016. Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel to Burkina Faso.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to the area of Burkina Faso north of the town of Boulsa, due to its proximity to the border with Mali.
There was a failed military coup on 16 September. Presidential and parliamentary elections, were held on 29 November. There could be unannounced demonstrations and strikes, and the security situation may deteriorate. You should remain vigilant and stay away from large public gatherings. The airport and land borders may be subject to closure at short notice. Monitor local media and check with your airline for more information.
There is no British Embassy in Burkina Faso. If you need consular assistance you should contact the British High Commission in Accra, Ghana.
- Colombia: Explosions Reported In Bogota
- Cuba: Health Screening At Entry Ports
- Cuba: Mandatory International Medical and Travel Insurance For Cuba Entry
- Ghana: General Travel Advice 20 March 2016
- Turkey: Explosions Rock Istiklal Street Istanbul
- 80% Of Travellers Have Perceived A Threat To Their Personal Safety While Abroad*
- Jelf International Urges Employers To Communicate Advice For Those Planning Travel To Zika-Affected Areas
- Impacts Of Storm Imogen Are Expected To Continue Over Southern Parts Of England
- Falkland Islands: British Nationals Visiting Falkland Islands No Longer Entitled To Receive Dental Care Under UK NHS
- Jamaica: General Election 25 February 2016
- Malaysia: Current Travel Advice
- Essential Tips For A Safe Secure Chinese New Year
- Tunisia: Curfew Lifted 4th Feb 2016
- Bahrain: Protests 4 - 6 Feb 2016
- Turkey: FCO Advise Against All Travel To City Of Diyarbakir
- Bolivia: Travel Disruptions Due To Blockades
- Zika Virus Declared Global Health Emergency
- Travel Insurance After the Istanbul Bombing
- France: Current Travel News, Warnings, Advice And Alerts For Global Travellers And Expatriates
- UNHCR Warns Against Horn Of Africa Sea Crossings